As Halloween approaches, it’s important to remember that while movies and costumes add excitement, they’re not the only potentially scary elements. Halloween and special effects makeup, often used during this time, can have a significant impact on our skin’s health. So, it is very important to know how to prep your skin before applying and how to remove Halloween makeup afterward.
Unlike our everyday cosmetic brands, makeup found in novelty stores for Halloween tends to be quite different. Halloween makeup is typically formulated without much consideration for skin health. It’s heavy, thick, waxy, and has a greasy texture, designed to be bold, pigmented, and long-lasting. While perfect for achieving dramatic looks, it may not be the best choice for our pores.
Though it’s great for a full day and night of celebrating, including indulging in Halloween treats, it can be harsh on clear skin. To ensure our complexion remains unharmed, Orenda MedSpa has some tips and tricks to help you take care of your skin on Halloween.
Prepping For Halloween Makeup
- Cleanse your skin. We recommend using the EltaMD Oil-in-Gel Cleanser or Foaming Facial Cleanser to remove any makeup, oil, or dirt from your skin. This will create a clean base for your Halloween makeup to adhere to.
- Exfoliate your skin. Use a gentle exfoliator like the Rhonda Allison Brightening Scrub from their Pigmentation Solutions line to remove any dead skin cells. This will help to create a smooth surface for your Halloween makeup to apply to.
- Apply a primer. A makeup primer will help to create a barrier between your skin and the Halloween makeup, which can help to prevent clogging your pores and breakouts.
How To Remove Halloween Makeup
- Remove any prosthetics or latex. If you have adhered any prosthetic to your face, use an oil-based cleanser to break down the glue and remove the prosthetics or latex gently. You can use coconut oil or even an eye-makeup remover, depending on the size of the prosthetic.
- Cleanse your skin. Use a good facial cleanser to remove all of your Halloween makeup. Orenda recommends Rhonda Allision’s Compromised Barrier Soothing Oil Cleanse or Obagi Nu-Derm Foaming Gel Cleanser.
- Apply a toner. A toner will help to remove any remaining makeup residue and rehydrate your skin. Such as the Elta MD Skin Recovery Essence Toner or Obagi’s Balancing Toner.
- Apply a moisturizer. Apply a generous amount of moisturizer to your face and neck to hydrate and nourish your skin. Orenda has a great selection of moisturizers on our Online Store depending on your type of skin.
Post-Halloween Skin Care
After wearing Halloween makeup, it is important to take extra care of your skin to help it recover. Here are a few tips from the staff at Orenda MedSpa in Castle Rock, CO:
- Use gentle skincare products. Avoid using any harsh skincare products that could irritate your skin.
- Hydrate your skin. Drink plenty of water and use a hydrating moisturizer to keep your skin hydrated.
- Exfoliate your skin regularly. Exfoliating your skin regularly will help to remove any dead skin cells and reveal the fresh, new skin underneath.
- Use a face mask. A face mask can help to deeply hydrate and nourish your skin.
By following these tips, you can help protect your skin from the harmful effects of Halloween makeup and keep it looking its best. If you find that you need a more complex or personalized solution, please schedule a consultation with one of our specialists.